Saturday, January 24, 2009

Presenting Awards

Sometimes you just have to admire how it can be a game, or how it can be political. I thought it was about mission, but if you aren't kissing the right person's ass, you just won't be recognized. Perfect example: There were only a handful of us who busted our balls on the network out here in Iraq. I don't kiss ass, I'm a smart ass (example soon to follow). I am presented a simple, 'hey, you did a good job' because I had a Sergeant recognize that I can do my job. However, our shop Gunnery Sergeant was presented his second Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (NAM). What did he do out here, fucking nothing. In fact, he was more of a hindrance in getting the job done whenever he went out to 'help' us. He kissed our Lieutenant's ass and therefore was written up with the award.

In terms of being a smart ass: Iraq is the largest stand alone network in the world (previously mentioned and will be explained further later). We have basically two core switches / routers, twenty distribution switches / routers and over four hundred and fifty access switches, which in turn provide services to over twenty thousand users and all of that is at Al Asad. Hence, when a Colonel hands me a coin, the one my Sergeant wrote me up to receive, and mentions how I did a good job as a MIMMs NCO and that I worked on forty to fifty access switches ... that bothers me. And me being me, I can't let that go. So before I can filter the message my brain sends I slide in, "A few more than that, sir." Not in a disrespectful way, but in a way that everyone of higher rank in my shop has called me a smart ass for. I'm sorry, but no. You are wrong. Someone gave you bad information. It's over four fifty.

Giving a Presentation: I realize that drop outs and people that can't get into college are often the ones who join the Military, but that should not stop our High Schools from teaching their students how to properly give a presentation. I had three presentations today and they just happened to cover all the possiblities. 1st) Our Chaplain did it right. 2nd) Our Corps-woman did it wrong. She almost never referenced her slides, and talked about what needed to be covered. Use the slides properly. If you aren't going to say anything on a slide, then get rid of it. Only one in three slides were ever covered, even partially, and the rest were given her hand wave and 'Next'. 3rd) Our acting Company Gunny did it wrong. He never strayed from the slides. Not a single word. Not only that, but he would read the whole slide through and then pick key words or phrases from each slide and tell us what they mean. No shit. I guess I didn't realize that 'Getting Involved' meant interacting with my fellow Marines. The right way to present? The slides are there for an outline of your presentation and can also be used to demonstrate (graphs, pictures, videos). Otherwise, there is no reason to put a paragraph on a slide. Key words, phrases and sentences only (Like a Fucking Outline).

Enough bitching from me. I made a decision. I figure this deployment most likely won't be my last. Therefore, I purchased something I don't need. Oakley Sunglasses. I got them with the black lenses and black frames. I like them, and considering my brother's upcoming wedding, and also the way I dress, in general, I think they will add to my style.

Favorite Port-a-John Quote: Ladies, how does it feel going back to the US to be ugly again?

Favorite word describing a decent looking girl in Iraq: Iraq-able.
Use it in a sentence: Yep, I'd do her, she's Iraq-able.

And I'm done. I really wish I had a scanner. There are some drawings I'd like to upload. I guess those will just have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment